This information is for small Irish companies which is defined as having not more than €200k corporation tax (CT) liability for an accounting period.
There are two deadlines:
- Calculate and pay preliminary tax* electronically by the 23rd of the month preceding year-end of the relevant accounting period.
- Complete and file electronically a CT tax (CT1 form) and a third party information return (46G form for companies) AND pay any balance of CT due by eight months and 23 days after the year-end.
To illustrate the deadlines above, for an Irish company for the accounting period ending 31 December 2017,
- The preliminary tax* must be paid by 23 November 2017. The amount is either 100% of the CT liability for 2016 OR 90% of the CT liability for 2017. The basis of calculation provides an opportunity to manage the cash flows of the company.
- CT1 form and 46G form (Company) and any balance of CT must be filed and paid respectively by 23 September 2018.
* A new Irish company does not need to calculate and pay preliminary tax for its first accounting period if CT liability for that period is less than €200k.